Saturday, July 21, 2007

Reading Reflection One

http://davidwarlick.com/ff_article/

I read “A Future Fiction” by David Warlick. It is a story based on existing, and soon to be available, technology. The article focuses on how technology can be used in the classroom for student presentations.
As I was reading the article, I found myself wishing I could actually see and hear the presentations instead of just reading about them. I believe the pictures, maps, and sound effects made the presentations extremely interesting and informative for the students. I like the fact that the groups still had to plan a verbal presentation to accompany the videos and images used to present their topic.
A new age media center is also described – with interactive display tables that can be connected to each student’s electronic tablet. I did find the idea of the media center, or library, only having a small corner of actual books, a bit disturbing. I love reading from an actual book, and find it hard to imagine ever having to read solely off a computer screen or similar device.
I also found it slightly creepy that a teacher could access a student’s location from their nametag chip. It would be nice to not have to call roll but I am not sure that I would want to be tracked around my school campus.
This article definitely opened my eyes to possibilities in the classroom for the near future. However, I think it will be a while before these ideas are implemented in the public schools. Many districts are still struggling to give every student access to a computer and basic technology needs.
I can see myself using the technology mentioned in this article for music history presentations as well as teaching music theory.

No comments: